Header Ads

Basic Life Skills That Were Least Taught When I Was I Child

First heard of life skills when I worked in a children's home last year.  I probably must have heard or read it before but never really take time to know what is it all about.

What Are Life Skills?

I found this simple definition of life skills in wikipedia:
Life skills are behaviors used appropriately and responsibly in the management of personal affairs. They are a set of human skills acquired via teaching or direct experience that are used to handle problems and questions commonly encountered in daily human life.

Life Skills are all the non-academic foundational skills human beings learn and use to thrive individually and live optimally in community with others.

Basic Life Skills For Children

There are five basic categories of life skills necessary for children.  They are:
  1. Personal care
  2. Organization
  3. Respect for self and others
  4. Communication
  5. Social skills
I could very well remember  that I was taught of the first three basic life skills (Personal Care, Organization and Respect for Others).  I grew up being constantly reminded by my parents, older relatives and even from people in the community of those skills.  They probably didn't know that those were named as 'life skills' but they knew that those were necessary and should be taught to their children.

Least Taught Life Skills

I was born in the province and mostly lived there when I was young.  During my time, children were not encourage to talk to older people especially not joing conversations with adults.  We were even told to go to our room whenever there are visitors, or better go outside.

Communication and social skills are most needed to further learning.  They are bridges to the unexplored world of a growing child.

Me and my siblings grew up generally shy it makes living more difficult.

3 comments:

  1. i have to work on number . :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering what number are you working on... :)

      Delete
    2. Meant number 5. Social skills

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.