Header Ads

Aren't Catholics Christians Too?


I was walking alone in one of the streets in the city where i live when i met a friend walking alongside with two of her friends.  After the 'hellos' and 'how are yous' she introduced two of her friends.

'This is Rose (not her real name), she is a Christian too and this is Mercy (not her real name), she is a Catholic.'

Mercy got a little confused at how she was labelled - a Catholic, not a Christian.

'Isn't a catholic a Christian too?'  She asked.

Yes, you are.  What i meant was 'born again Christian'.  My friend quickly answered. 

Christian vs Born Again Christian

It is common in the Christian community especially here in the Philippine to introduce people along with their religion or denomination.  I have other friends who introduced their friends as 'Baptist' and 'born-again Christian' as though Baptists aren't born-again Christians.  Also, aren't Christians supposed to be 'born-again'?

I Was Not Just A Born Catholic

Being born with a Catholic parents doesn't make me automatically a Catholic.  Am I right?  When i said I was a Catholic, i was really a Catholic.  I was faithful to the things Catholics are meant (or asked) to do and practice.  As i can remember, it started when i was thirteen years old.  I was already aware of what i was doing and at such a young age I was really serious when i said i wanted to be a priest someday.  I stopped being a born catholic when embraced the Catholic Faith.  I became a Catholic.

Accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior

I stopped labeling myself a Catholic when I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.  I am set free from the bond of religion.  I don't belong to any religion anymore.  I belong to Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.